Onion, Bacon and Swiss Tart
- 250 ml or 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 250 ml or 1 cup All-Bran Flakes* cereal
- 1 ml or 1/4 tsp salt
- 75 ml or 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 60 to 75 ml or 4 to 5 tbsp cold water
- 6 slices, thick-cut bacon, cut into pieces
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 5 ml or 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 pkg (250 g) cream cheese, softened
- 175 ml or 3/4 cup shredded Swiss or Gruyère cheese
- 30 ml or 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 ml or 1/4 tsp coarsely ground pepper
- 0.5 ml or 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
1. In medium bowl mix together flour, cereal crumbs and salt. Using pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, 15 ml (1 tbsp) at a time, over until just moistened. Shape into ball.
2. On lightly floured surface, roll dough into 33 cm (13-inch) circle. Press into bottom and up sides of 23 or 25 cm (9 or 10-inch) tart pan with removable bottom. Prick with fork.
3. Bake at 190°C (375°F) for about 18 minutes or until light brown. (Leave oven on.)
1. Meanwhile in large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon pieces until browned; drain on paper towel.
2. Add onion and sugar to 15 ml (1 tbsp) of the pan drippings. Cook, stirring, for 10 to 12 minutes or until very soft and golden brown.
3. In medium bowl, with electric mixer, beat together cream cheese, Swiss cheese, parsley, pepper and nutmeg until fluffy. Beat in egg just until combined. Gently stir in onion and bacon. Spread in crust.
4. Bake for about 20 minutes or until filling is set. Let stand for 15 minutes. Sprinkle tomato over top. Cut into wedges. Serve warm.
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg's* products. Results with other products may vary.